The Bx6 is an important interborough route that serves nearly 25,000 daily riders. NYCDOT and the MTA want to hear from you about the challenges you face with South Bronx crosstown travel and where improvements are needed along the Bx6 route. Please use the Bx6 Feedback Map to provide comments and suggestions.
Select Bus Service (SBS) projects across the city have helped reduce time spent waiting for the bus, boarding the bus, and traveling. The Bx6 is a vital crosstown route that connects riders to multiple subway lines and bus routes in both the Bronx and Manhattan.
SBS routes operate in every borough, with a total of eight routes citywide. SBS improvements are customized for each SBS corridor, depending on the needs of the route. The benefits of SBS can include the following:
- Faster boarding with off-board fare payment and the ability to board the bus through any door,
- Faster, more reliable bus service with dedicated bus lanes to avoid congestion,
- A more comfortable wait with improved bus shelters and benches,
- Less time waiting at traffic lights with signal priority for buses (Transit Signal Priority),
- Know when the next bus is coming with real-time information displays,
- Get directions at bus stops with neighborhood map displays, and
- Safer streets and crossings with high-visibility crosswalks, improved medians, and reconfigured intersections.
Together, these improvements have made for faster, more reliable, and more comfortable bus service throughout the city as well as safer streets and sidewalks and more predictable roadways for drivers
We look forward to your input to improve travel in the South Bronx and Manhattan.